My low sugar diet also means low carb, as the starch and glucose in potatoes raises your blood sugar, so I've been looking for some good alternatives. I like cauliflower and wondered if I could make a fish pie and put mashed cauli on top, and found a few recipes online doing just that.
I followed this recipe for the cauliflower puree but I couldn't get mine smooth enough; I think if I had cooked the cauli for longer so it was softer that might have been better. I wouldn't have thought to add cheese and cream into it as well; it was quite nice, though to be honest I would have preferred mashed potato!
For the fish pie, I cooked a mixture of fish - I think I had white fish, salmon and smoked mackerel, and added some chopped leaks and made a white sauce.
I put it in a pie dish, spread the cauliflower mash over the top and popped it in the oven to brown.
Here you can see the fish and the topping. This felt like a very virtuous recipe and is good if you're cutting down on potatoes and miss having fish pie - but I have to say I would only eat it as "diet food", whereas a lot of the low cal/fat/sugar recipes I make are nice enough to eat whether you are on a diet or not.
clicksor_enable_inter = true; clicksor_maxad = -1;
clicksor_hourcap = -1; clicksor_showcap = 2;
clicksor_enable_adhere = false;
//default pop-under house ad url
clicksor_enable_pop = true; clicksor_frequencyCap = -1;
durl = '';clicksor_mobile_redirect = false;
//default banner house ad url
clicksor_default_url = '';
clicksor_banner_border = '#fec700'; clicksor_banner_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF';
clicksor_banner_link_color = '#000000'; clicksor_banner_text_color = '#666666';
clicksor_banner_image_banner = false; clicksor_banner_text_banner = false;
clicksor_layer_border_color = '#fec700';
clicksor_layer_ad_bg = '#FFFFFF'; clicksor_layer_ad_link_color = '#000000';
clicksor_layer_ad_text_color = '#666666'; clicksor_text_link_bg = '';
clicksor_text_link_color = ''; clicksor_enable_text_link = false;
This pie is based on an idea I saw in a Slimming World book or magazine a while ago but isn't actually particularly Slimming - I wanted ...
I love apple crumble but as my husband doesn't eat apple I almost never make it - because I feel like I'd have to make him an equi...
Here's an Easter twist on one of my favourite breakfast or brunch dishes, eggs benedict - it uses hot cross buns, hence the name eggs ...
After a few road trips around the US I bought a cookery book called 'America's Most Wanted Recipes' - it contains copycat recipe...
Where can you hear from Michael Zee, the man behind the Instagram sensation Symmetry Breakfasts, Kate Doran from food blog Little Loaf, Al...
I've been baking a fair bit with gluten-free flour over the past year or so as I have a work colleague who can't eat gluten. From ...
My company recently moved to a new office near Spitalfields market. We weren't very far away before but for some reason I never made the...
This week one of my closest friends asked if I could babysit her eight-year-old so she could go to a work event that ran a couple of hou...
The Hobbycraft press show - another Christmas in July event - was much smaller than some of the others I've been to, but much more fun ...
- Slow Cooker Thai Green Beef Curry
- Meal Planning Monday Week 24
- Eton Mess cupcakes
- Restaurant Review: Redfearns, Wincanton, Somerset
- Birthday Presents and Stamped Sentiments Card
- Deconstructed No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Review: Holbrook House Hotel, Wincanton, Somerset
- Meal Planning Monday Week 23
- Alpaca Cookies and Alpaca Adventure, Dorset
- Low Carb Fish Pie with Cauliflower Mash
- M&M chocolate birthday cake
- Quick Make: 60th Birthday Card
- Restaurant review: Debenhams Oxford Street
- Meal Planning Monday Week 21
- Spiralized Vegetables with Broccoli Pesto
- Chicken en Papilotte with Orange Veg
- Quinoa Cheese Tartlets
- Lorraine Pascale's Blueberry and Limoncello Drizzl...
- Restaurant Review: The Swan at Stoford, Wiltshire
- Birthday Girl Party Card
- Meal Planning Monday Week 20
- Restaurant Review: Cashmore Inn, Cashmore, Dorset
- Amazing Jaffa Cake Cupcakes
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto
- Slimming World Creamy Coriander and Minted Chicken...
- Review: Premier Inn, Edinburgh Park
- Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes
- Meal Planning Monday 2016 Week 19
- ▼ May (28)
- ► 2015 (266)
- ► 2014 (121)
Powered by Blogger.